Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day 2008



We did alot during Memorial Day weekend as we had a little mini vacation staying with "Nana and Gamps" in Westport, MA. Highlights include:


  • Friday dinner with friends Dan and Ginger at Cork in New Bedford.
  • Saturday a visit to see "Gamps'" new boat Dory Days
  • Saturday was also "Gamps'" 60th Birthday Party celebrated at the Paquachuck Inn
  • Sunday included a walk on the beach for Nana, Sally and Una, while Gamps and I took the first ride of 2008 in our boat, Sea Dog.
  • A few BBQs with hamburgers, hot dogs, and ribs, of course.

I've skimped on the details because without the real purpose of the weekend, all of the above may not have been possible. On Monday we honored the true purpose of Memorial Day by attending the annual Westport, MA wreath laying ceremony and Memorial Day Parade.

As a former servicemember, I felt pride as I stood and watched servicemembers from WWII, Korea and Vietnam (and perhaps other conflicts, as well) honor those they may have served along side of. It was a small ceremony. Moving none-the-less. I'm happy we've initiated Una in honoring those that have served and given the ultimate sacrafice for what they believed in.

We moved from the ceremony to the parade. The pride I had felt previously that morning returned as I watched small town America turn out to honor America's Heroes. The parade included war veterans, police, and firefighters. There was a marching band made up of local schoolchildren. And, then there were the Scouts. Girls Scouts and Boy Scouts. Daisies, Brownies, Juniors, Cadettes, and Cub. Parents snapping pictures as their son or daughter passed by. More importantly, those parents cheered and applauded the servicemembers who proceeded their children.

I was moved by the flags, what they represent, and the honor shown them.

Well done Westport. You honored those that secured the freedoms that I and my family enjoy today.


No comments: